MINDFULNESS-BASED STRESS REDUCTION (MBSR) PROGRAMME
Mindfulness means being in the present moment with an open and non-judgmental attitude. It helps us become more aware of our own thoughts, feelings and bodily sensations in our present environment. You can think of mindfulness practice as a workout for your brain – a way to keep strong, fit and resilient. Like physical exercise, mindfulness requires some basic training and ongoing practice. Developed over time primarily via meditation practice, mindfulness results in greater focus and well-being.
Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) is a 8-week skills training programme in mindfulness, stress management and cognitive awareness. It is a secular programme that focuses on the use of mindfulness for managing everyday stressors related to areas such as work, health and relationships. Over the course of eight weeks, you’ll learn to be more present and to be more aware of automatic reactions and communication patterns that cause stress.
- 8 weekly 2-hour classes
- Day of Mindfulness, a compulsory day-long Saturday intensive session between weeks 6 & 7
- Instruction in mindfulness meditation
- Group dialogue and discussions aimed at enhancing awareness in everyday life
- Brief lectures and discussions
- Individual feedback and support
- Daily home assignments
- Stress management
- Build ability to cope more effectively with challenges
- Cultivate awareness of positive aspects in your life
- Develop awareness of habitual negative thinking patterns
- Develop empathy for the self and others
- Develop a healthy response to adversity
- Increase adaptability to change and uncertainty
What is the course structure and commitment?
The MBSR programme consists of:
- Phone interview (required)
- Eight weekly classes, 2 hours each
- One All-Day class on a Saturday or Sunday, between classes 6 and 7 (
- Daily home practice assignments for 45-60 minutes each day
You must be willing to make a strong commitment to attend all classes and to practice daily home assignments for eight weeks.